Monday, November 27, 2006

El Sweeney

So this is our last night in Spain, its been an amazing two weeks, met lots of you, played some shows, even recorded a show for TV. We always like coming to spain, but for some reason, when we are here, we seem to have things happen to us. Our Pain in Spain tour in 2002 resulted in half the band being ill/injured. And this time started with me having my passport nicked on the way out, then when we arrived, Kenny's pedals had been damaged during the flight and he had to buy replacements, Carey lost her purse, i've left my DVD wallet in a hotel room in Malaga (hopefully i can get it back) and the most bizarre thing that has ever happened to us as a band occured on Saturday afternoon on the way to Santa Pola.

We were driving down the autovia, when suddenly an unmarked police-car started flashing its lights at us, blue light flashing in the roof, it overtook us and forced us to pull over on the hard shoulder. There was only one guy in the car, he got out, came over to the Minibus, and started demanding all our passports. Luckily Jenny, our stand in trumpet player, is fluent in Spanish, as he barked at us, asking who we were and why were we in spain, wher had we come from, where were we going, were we tourists? MUSICIANS!!! Did we have cocaine? he searched all our wallets, pockets, searched all our euro notes for traces of cocaine (obviously he'd picked the wrong band, but he kept going) after he had gone through us all, he seemed satisfied that we weren't mules, and let us go, before flying off down the motorway after some other poor unfortunate soul. We were left sitting on the hard shoulder feeling a little shellshocked, ever so slightly shaken. I don't fancy having to go through that again in a hurry. As Arthur Daley once said, "I don't like abroad, funny water, sawn-off toilets and Plod with guns" I have to be honest having an armed policeman going through your pockets and wallet is a serious brown trouser moment. In comparison i don't mind the water or the toilets to be fair.

Gav

15 Comments:

Blogger mi-bemoll said...

I'm still impressed.
Yesterday I was able to see you for first time in my life, in my city, in the cafè where I love going!!! And it won't be the last time, I promise.

I enjoyed a lot. You make me feel good. You transmit me a peace, a "bon rotllo" we say here that is unpayable!

Thanks you for everything. I hope you have also enjoyed your visit in Lleida, and I will be waiting for yours again. =)

Regards,

Genís

12:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your concert in Málaga. My little newspaper is trying to contact you for an interview, we'd like to know your impressions about the concert on 24th Nov. My email is trenesdecarton@hotmail.com, it would be a pleasure to get in contact with you and ask a couple of questions. By the way, it was great to be able to listen Razzle Dazzle Rose!!

Hugs from Spain! I hope you get your wallet back.

11:12 am  
Blogger rubeniu said...

La Guardia Civil use to be stupid and annoying, They make me stop some (almots all) saturdays night at the entrance of my village, just for nothing!!!

kisses!

5:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fucking Serpico and Shit!"

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Just thought I'd say hi, just found his page. Only discovered your music in the summer, was at the Edinburgh Fringe with my show, was a stressful old time (first time up there and all that), but managed to get tickets for Belle and Sebastian and you guys were supporting - was completely blown away by your tunes (and promptly got myself 2 of your albums the next day!), 'Razzle Dazzle Rose' is an amazing piece of music, and your album became the soundtrack to a brilliant summer...

Thanks again for the music (as much as a cliche that sounds!) and hope to catch you guys soon.

Take care
Paul

5:39 pm  
Blogger Daniela said...

In Chile also we want her music!!!!

6:17 am  
Blogger Paperslut said...

Hey,

I'm from India and I just got hold of Let's Get Out Of This Country a few days ago. I think it's very refreshing, and I'm gonna get the rest of your stuff too now. I blogged you guys as well.

Thank you for a wonderful piece of music.

Cheers
Jun

9:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that´s a spanish story!! ;P
well, i hope you´ll fine!
i´m here just to say what lovely was your show at malaga, .. mmmm no wait, i say lovely??
i mean: great, pasion... the sound was amaizin, absolutly perfect!!
you´re a big band, more than biggers.
Razzle Dazzle Rose best song ever!
hugs and love.
malaga, 05 december
(ale)
lloyd at malaga here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcksKqTHnQo

11:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from México City, I love your music ... hope to see you around here!!! (very soon)
Marcela O A - fado singer - (Mexico City)

7:02 am  
Blogger Barbarella said...

Hi there!
Last night I was in your concert in Mallorca and it was great. I was very happy to hear that you liked the idea to come back so I can't wait.

Great concert!

A big hug

Barbara

3:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm from Chile, Southamerica..and I really LOVE ur music...I think your last album, is one of the best that I have listened...I would like to see you in this land...There're a lot of people who love ur music...

Happy X-mas!!...and a great 2007!!

6:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi from Argentina! Here there's a lot of us waiting for you to come and play here. so boys, come on!
hughs and congratulations for your music

3:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just another fan from Málaga,
it was my third time in a concert to see you and I enjoyed it a lot!
hopefully you can come back again, I'm going to Glasgow on February and I've just realized that the band will be in Australia!
well, see you next time...

1:49 am  
Blogger Geist said...

Just began listening to your latest album, much looking forward to your gig at the Northcote Social Club.
cheers

3:36 am  
Blogger Rob said...

A friend of mine went to spain recently, just off the ferry, he was pulled over by an unmarked police car. He pulled a gun and took all their money, jewellery and chucked their keys in a ditch. It's a dodgy country all right.

8:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home